Saturday, September 01, 2012

39 Years Ago Today

Today, September 1, is the anniversary of the day I got married.  I was 17 and he was 18. Way too young, for sure, but we didn't think so at the time.  We thought we were in love.  Now I don't know if it was really love or just infatuation, for that matter, when I look back on any of the 'love' relationships I've had I don't know if it was real love or something else.

Married on September 1, 1973, I left the unhappy marriage on December 5, 1976 (3 years, 3 months and 5 days later). On the same date the next year I saw a lawyer and filed for divorce. By August 1978, I was legally divorced.

June 18, 1999, I got a phone call from Nancy, the woman that had been living with my former husband Everett for some years.  She called to tell me he had experienced a brain aneurism a few days earlier and had just passed away..... 5 months to the day after my Dad had passed away. It was a shock!! I was not only surprised that he was gone, but also at how this affected me.  I went through a lot of emotional upheaval, grief, that I wouldn't have expected.  Maybe I really did love him after all.

39 years ago I was married.  It only lasted 3 years, 3 months & 5 days.... yet still, on this day each year, I think of Everett and I wonder..... I wonder lots of "what if's" that I will never have answers to.

No comments: