Thursday, June 21, 2012

More Trike "Stuff"

In an earlier post, I told about the problems I've been having getting quality help to fix the back brakes on my trike.  I wondered if 3rd time was the charm as I took it to yet another guy that said he could fix it for me. Well, it wasn't!!  I paid the guy, Dean, $450 just to drive away and find that my back brakes don't work any better than they did before I took it to Dean.

Phil and I decided that the only other thing it could be was the brake shoes.  We had been told by Rod and by Dean that the shoes were okay, but at this point they were the only other thing it could be since we had gotten Dunbar Automotive to machine the drums ($28), I paid Ray last year to change the wheel cylinders, Dean had done this work to the linkage.  So we ordered in shoes, cost me nearly $60, Phil put them in and still no back brakes.

So finally we took the trike to Myron's Automotive Shop and it turns out my neighbor, Doug, is working there.  Doug seems very knowledgeable so this is a good thing.  He checked out several things and finally they decided that the brake drums are too big, they have been machined too many times and Dunbar should not have machined them for me, it was illegal for them to do so as they were past the point of that being right to do.  So they ordered in a new set of brake drums for me and put them in this morning.  The trike stops better than it did, but still it is not stopping like it should!!! This is really crazy!! Doug is going to change the linkage that I paid Ray to do, Dean to redo, and now will be paying Doug to do the 3rd time!!

I don't know what it will cost this time, but I am so tired of grabbing my own ankles while people lie to me and make money off me but don't give me quality work. I sure hope I have good, working brakes and am out on the road riding by tomorrow!!

Gene called yesterday and said the part I ordered is in, it's a bearing for my steering stem.  I have to go get it and pay for it ($45 was quoted) and Phil will put it in for me.  It's a big job, pulling the front end apart, but needs to be done.

No comments: