Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Dupuytren's Contracture

I have to have surgery on my left hand.  I was first on a cancellation list so was hoping to get in for the surgery in March, but that didn't happen so now I will be going April 24th.  The reason I need surgery is that I have what is called a Dupuytren's Contracture.  It is a lump in my left hand, along the tendon of my ring finger. My doctor thought it was a Ganglion, but the surgeon I saw said it's not, it's the Dupuytren's Contracture, he also said it's a non-cancerous tumor and if it doesn't come out it will continue to get bigger and bigger and will pull the tendon, bending the finger and making it useless.  Taking it out now is what he said is best, though it does mean possibility of it returning again. If we wait until it's somewhat bigger it lessens the chance of it returning, but it is a much greater chance of damaging nerves to the finger.  I am really sad that this means I won't be able to ride my trike until the end of May and I had planned to be riding the start of May.  I have 'runs' I had planned to attend with friends that ride, but now won't be going.  Oh well, as my friend Phil says, I have to take care of my health first, no matter how much I want to ride.

No comments: