Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breakfast of Champions

I was just reading a yummy sounding recipe for breakfast. I usually eat Oatmeal for my first meal of the day, adding lots of healthy things into it. I cook the rolled oats with a pinch each of raisins and craisins (dried cranberries), then add fresh ground flax seeds (about 2 TBSP seeds before grinding), 2 TBSP each of Psyllium Husk and Nutritional Yeast, 1/2 tsp or more cocoa powder, 3 TBSP Lecithin Granules and about 1 cup of Almond Beverage. One very healthy and filling meal. Sometimes I even eat some nuts or fresh fruit with it. This being said, the recipe I just read, Chocolate Peanut Butter Quinoa and Oats, sounds like something I want to try. I think it's a bit high in calories so I would use Almond Beverage (40 cal. per cup) instead of the Soy Beverage (100 cal. per cup) to save 60 calories, or perhaps use 1/2 and 1/2 or 1/4 Soy to 3/4 Almond. I would also leave out the maple syrup.

Hmmm, but how would I get my Psyllium (for fiber) and my Nutritional Yeast (for the B vitamins, including B12), not to mention the Flax (for Omega 3 and fiber) and the Lecithin (to help reduce cholesterol)?? I guess I'll have to give this all some thought.... as I enjoy my Oatmeal.

No comments: