Friday, November 12, 2010

Grateful

I used to think that I should have lived in a much earlier time, like maybe the 1700s or 1800s. I romanticized the life style of the times and felt it would have suited me to a 't'. And maybe I did live in those times as well, but I am now living in this time. I have come to be quite grateful for this fact, and very grateful for people who do health care jobs. Think about it, all the things that are possible medically now that were not possible or available 100 years ago, or maybe even 50 years or less. If you read this blog, you know that I was in a bad crash 2 months ago and had my left wrist shattered. I am so aware that if something like this happened earlier in time the outcome would have been very different. I was able to have surgery to reconstruct the wrist bones, a metal plate and 9 screws put in to hold it all together. This could not have been done 100 years ago, even 50 years ago it could not have been done with the skill or chances for total recovery that it can be done with today. I don't know yet if I will get full use back of my hand & wrist, but it should be close and I know that if I had been born a century or two before I was, and if I had a similar injury then, I would likely loose most or all use of the wrist and hand. I am grateful to live now. I am grateful for my life.

No comments: