Thursday, August 26, 2010

Remembering

I remember back in the 'old days' when we went to the grocery store and selected all the stuff we wanted to by, then took it all to the counter at the front where there was a person that ran it all through by hand. They either knew the cost per pound or knew the item number off by heart. Not at all like today when they just know how to pass the items over a barcode scanner and let the computer do the work. I know this must make it easier for the cashier, though I find myself thinking that it's something of a 'no mind' job now. When I was a waitress years ago, we had to make change for people when they paid their bills... without having a til to tell us how much change to give. You just had to figure it out yourself. We even counted the money back.... for example, the bill may have been $9.15 and you were given a $20 bill. You would count back the change saying "$9.15" hand them a dime "9.25" hand them 3 quarters "$10", then maybe give them a couple $5 bills and say "$20".

Ahhh, the change of the times. I don`t know if this is good or bad, it just is.

No comments: