Friday, February 19, 2010

Health Update... better than no date at all

Every 3 months, I visit a nurse, Della, & my doctor regarding Type 2 Diabetes. Before that visit, I go to the lab for blood tests that show what has been happening with my blood sugars over the past 3 months. This time around, I was a bit worried as December was a "tuff" month with all the sweet goodies over the Christmas season... then in January was my birthday and more sweet goodies. When I was first diagnosed with Diabetes, I had an A1C (that's what the 3 month test is called) of around 13.... after that it was 11.4 (being new it was redone before the 3 months), the next 2 were 6.3. Under 7 is good. The one this time was 6.1 so even a little better. Della & Dr. P. are both very happy with these readings and with the loss of 18 pounds, though I have gained 2 back so must loose them again and a bunch more. What they are not happy with is my cholesterol levels. They are higher than they should be even for a non-diabetic, though if I was one of those, it would be no big worry. However, a diabetic should have even lower readings than 'normal' people, so I am classed as 'high risk'.

The doctor would like to put me on drugs for this and I keep refusing, working at bringing the levels down with diet & exercise. This woman would rather take vitamins for men than resorting to meds with bad side effects. I am open to finding some more healthy ways of bringing down these levels. I've heard oatmeal is good, and have also hear Niacin helps. I do eat oatmeal fairly often and am thinking I'll get some of the Niacin that doesn't cause hot flashes.

1 comment:

clairesgarden said...

keep well!! and no I wouldn't immediatley take the drugs for cholestorol, sure you will find a less nasty way to get it down now you know to look out for it.