Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Laugh

As I committed to, here is a post about laughing. I am reading a good book just now called "Life's Greatest Lessons: 20 Things That Matter" by Hal Urban. So far I highly recommend this book. I am going to share chapter 3 with you, and if you want to read more of it you'll just have to buy the book, or borrow it from your local library if they have it. I'll give little bits of the chapter each night as there is no way I'm typing it all out in one night :o)

Chapter 3

Life Is Also Fun...
And Incredibly
Funny

Of all the gifts bestowed by nature on human beings, hearty laughter must be close to the top.
- Norman Cousins


Discovering the Balance Of Life

Now that we've dealt with two of the heavier realities of life, let's look at its lighter and brighter side. We need to appreciate the things which help us stay balanced, which keep us from being crushed under the weight of seriousness, and which we can use to maintain our sanity. I'm talking about another one of the great truths: Human beings need to have fun. We need to play, and most importantly, we need to laugh. Life may be hard and at times unfair, but that doesn't mean it has to be intolerable. And it certainly doesn't mean that we can't enjoy it. Humor is what helps the most.

To be continued tomorrow.



One of the things that pretty much always makes me laugh? My animals. For example, tonight Tiki & Friday were both sitting on me, one bird on each side of my upper body. Tiki was being cuddly, going under my chin as he does when he wants to be petted. As I wasn't paying attention to him he gently nipped at my neck until I did pay attention. Friday, for awhile, was nibbling gently at my bottom lip, then later at my forearm. These little nibbles are signs of love, believe it or not. I can't help but feel warm inside and chuckle as they do some of the silly little things they do, including chasing each other in a gentle fight over me. Birds are wonderful people.

I am grateful for all the birds that are sharing my life.
I am grateful for the little things each bird does to express itself.
I am grateful that each bird has its own birdinality.
I am grateful for every little thing the birds do that make me laugh.
I am grateful that all my birds are relatively very quiet.
I am grateful my birds are happy living with me and seem to love me.

5 comments:

Melli said...

LOL! Yep - we all need to laugh! I didn't know we needed a book to teach us HOW! I thought it was instinct. ;)

You are indeed very blessed to have those birdies! And even more blessed to have a doggie that doesn't EAT them! (or scare them to death trying!) They suuuuuuure are good little companions! And they DO each have their own little birdinality!

Melli said...

OH! And what I stopped by for! THANKS for signin' up to play the scavenger hunt! Can't wait to see what you come up with --- and yea - feathers ought to be QUITE easy for you!

Anonymous said...

Laughter is great for anyone. I enjoyed reading about this and agree so much with Chapter 3. It's excellent. Greatful list is really birdy today LOL. I love it :)

Quilly said...

We shall call you, Alice the Bird Lady, which is much better than calling you, Alice the Bird-Brained Lady, (or Alice Late-For-Dinner).

Finding Pam said...

Hey Alice, I was just checking out your birds. They are very nice and I am sure entertaining.