Thursday, September 03, 2009

Laugh 2

In Laugh, I started sharing with you the writings in Chapter 3 of "Life's Greatest Lessons" by Hal Urban. Tonight you get the second installment.

One morning while sitting at my desk laboring over this book and suffering from what appeared to be a terminal case of writer's block, I began to wonder if I had some masochistic tendencies. Writing is one of the most difficult and frustrating things that I've ever done, yet I continue to do it. Why was I inflicting this pain on myself? I could be doing other things that were much more enjoyable. Like vacuuming or cleaning out the garage. Just then the phone rang. A young woman at the other end asked me, "Is Jeannette there?" I said, "No, Jeannette doesn't live here anymore." "Since when?" she asked. I said, "Didn't you know? Jeannette moved to Bolivia. She went down there to study the mating rituals of the Inca Indians." She then said incredulously, "You've got to be kidding!" I said, "Yeah, I am. I think you dialed the wrong number." The conversation ended when she said, "Man, you're weird!" and hung up.
While she acted somewhat perturbed with me, I have the feeling that she got a chuckle out of our conversation. I certainly did. And I'll bet when she finally got ahold of Jeannette and told her about the weirdo she talked to, they both had a good laugh. I did, just thinking about their conversation.
In fact, I was wondering if she'd call back to tell me that the Incas lived in Peru, not Bolivia. But I don't think she cared. She and Jeannette probably had more important things to talk about.
The point of all this is that when we get bogged down with some of the ordeals of life, we need a diversion. One of the best is humor. It took me a long time to understand that it's one of the most important ingredients of a healthy and balanced life. I spent years seriously studying the psychology of personal development and fulfillment, only to learn to not take myself so seriously.

To be continued...


My computer is not making me laugh just now. I am having trouble with the "i", both capital and small. I don't know what the problem is but I really have to hit it hard to get it to work. One thing that did make me laugh today though, was again bird related. Tiki was on my left shoulder & Friday on top of my head, Tiki was making some sounds and I was making some right back to him. Then suddenly I see Friday's head right in front of my face... upside down!! He was hanging from my bangs getting into the group, not wanting to be left out. It was so funny.

I stayed home all day so wasn't out in the world seeing/hearing things to laugh about, though some days there is more at home than out there. Dan dropped by to visit awhile on his way home from work tonight. Mewsic never goes to anyone, even Dan who is around more often than anyone else, though she is very friendly and snuggly with me of course. Well, tonight Dan sat down for awhile, which is actually something her rarely does, he just paces around a lot. Mewsic was on my chair and she jumped over onto him and actually snuggled there with him. That gave us both a smile and a bit of a chuckle. When he tries to pet her, on his terms of course, she won't let him near her... and now when it's on her terms, she went to him for what she wasn't getting from me.

I think I must shut this computer down now and hope it works out it's problems by tomorrow when I boot it up again.... or I'll trade it in for one of those ipods , or a DVD player or something else I don't really need, lol. Ahhhh, technology.

I am grateful for my laptop computer.
I am grateful for each and every laugh I get to enjoy.
I am grateful for each moment I spend with each of my pets.
I am grateful for visits from my friends.
I am grateful the sun came back after a stormy/rainy morning.
I am grateful the weather is a little cooler today than it has been for quite some time now (and hope it doesn't get too much cooler for a long time yet.)

2 comments:

clairesgarden said...

thankyou for the humour today!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent my friend. I'm enjoying this :)