Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Writing Prompt: A funny thing happened on my way to.............

A funny thing happened on my way to.............

A funny thing happened to me on the way to the bathroom.

As I was walking through the kitchen, entering the hallway, the phone rang. Now this in itself is neither funny nor unusual, so I went and answered it. A woman I know from Lumby was calling. I hadn’t heard from her in a very long time, but it didn’t take long for her to tell me why she was calling.

“The reason I’m calling”, said Angeline, “is that you told me some time ago you would like another chinchilla. Would you still be interested?”

She was right. I had at one time wanted a male for my two females. Daisy and Cheri were given to me, complete with 2 cages and several accessories 4 or more years ago now. They are wonderful girls, but I don’t think they were handled much as babies, so they are not wanting me to handle them very often. Daisy, is the best of the two and often likes to have me rub her around her ears and head area, on occasion even lets me pet her body a bit, but does not like to be picked up and if I manage to get hold of her (chins move very fast) she will squirm and fidget, trying to get away. Cheri, rarely ever lets me touch her at all. So I wanted to have babies for the wonderful experience of it and so I can handle them from birth so they will be much better pets. Chinchillas come in several colors, the original and most common color is the Standard Gray, which Daisy is. Cheri is Beige.

“Well, tell me what you have and we’ll see” I said. She proceeded to tell me about two babies she was given awhile back when they were still nursing. She had also been given the mother but was keeping her. The babies were born November 18, 2006, so are just over 3 months old, and friendly. Mother and babies are all Standard Gray, Mom has Black Velvet in her background. I said I would take the babies.

“There’s also a Mosaic White male, the father of the babies” she ads. “He’s very friendly. Would you like him too?” We talked about him for awhile. He, like the babies mother has a pedigree. Angeline has the pedigrees and I can have his as well as a copy of the mother’s when she finds them as she’s not sure just now where she put them. Well, how can I pass up a Mosaic White male? And with a pedigree no less! So I said “bring them all over”. She did, and now I have 5 chinchillas. I really am happy with all 3 that I was given yesterday, especially those darling twins. They like it when I pet them, the female especially will climb into my hands and let me hold her, though given a chance will get loose so she can run and play silly chinchilly games. I’ve long since known, thanks to Daisy and Cheri, chinchillas love to play games. They truly are wonderful little animals.

After playing with them awhile I took pictures and posted them to my blog for all the world to see my wonderful new “kids” the awesome additions to my “family”.

Namaste

Alice

No comments: