Sunday, February 18, 2007

My Family

This is Bismallah. I told you earlier about this chick, and showed you pictures of it. Well, it's grown... a lot. When I weighed it a few days ago it was 4 oz., up from 1.5 oz when I weighed it the first time. It is also much taller and all over bigger. It eats non-stop and those cute wee baby chicky poops are no longer wee or cute. This picture is of Bismallah the first night I noticed s/he on the roost. All this growing and I still don't know if it's a boy or girl, but with the color of the feathers coming in I'm starting to think a hen. Still, time will tell. I'll get a better picture of Bismallah soon and post it. The cage you see is a bird cage that my budgies came in. Today I brought in a larger cage I had in the shed, and gave my chick a bigger home. It comes out to play with me sometimes, too, and runs around the house.


I may have told you about Grace Hawk, but if I did it wasn't much and I didn't show you a picture. She is a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. I used to raise and show Netherland Dwarfs, all pedigreed, some Grand Championed too. When I decided to get out of that I sold off most of my stock. This rabbit was sold before that as a pet, but the elderly man that I sold her to phoned and asked would I take her back as his health was bad so he couldn't keep her. As you can see, I said yes. So now, here I am with only one rabbit, one very overweight rabbit. I haven't weighed her, but she is fat.

The proper weight for a Netherland Dwarf (ND) is 2 - 2.5 pounds, and it's ears are to be no longer than 2.5 inches. In both cases, the 2 is better. If any heavier or longer the rabbit is disqualified from the show table. If one toe nail is the wrong color it is disqualified (DQ'd) There are a lot of other things the rabbit is judged on, but I won't go into that. (You're welcome). There are about 50 (I think... been a few years... memory not so good...lol) different colors in the ND breed. Grace Hawk is a Chestnut Agouti, the more common color, but a very pretty one.


Tom Tom is the green/yellow/black in the background. Lady Bird is the yellow/green/blue in the foreground. She looks white, but she's pale yellow. Very pretty budgie birds, but not friendly. It would be nice if they'd make some babies, but have been together a long time now and haven't done so. Maybe if the cage was bigger, but who knows for sure with budgies.

So, I've shown you several pictures of the fast growing Bismallah. I've shown you some of Shadow (my cat), several of Reba (my dog), some of my chickens and the wild pigeons that life in the chicken house. I've shown some of my chinchillas, Daisy and Cheri. So I think I've shown you all my current critters except for the 2 male betta fish. Maybe another day.

3 comments:

clairesgarden said...

I dont know how I missed this yesterday when I popped in! I didn't realise there were so many 'critters' in you life! must make for an interesting mixture sometimes.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

I'm glad you found it this time you popped in, Claire.

Ya, I do have a "big family" here, and yes, it does get interesting at times. After 8 years of the cat being afraid of the dog, they are now managing to get along pretty good for the most part, though Reba still wants to chase Shadow. If Shadow runs, Reba will chase, but now he often stands still which ruins Reba's game as she can't chase what isn't running away.

When Reba was young I had to keep her outside all the time as she was too hyper to come in for more than a few minutes. For a couple years now she's been able to spend evenings in and sleep inside too, but I've always had to put up barricades to keep her in a certain area of the house when I went to bed. This winter, with her and Shadow finally getting along, I started letting her have the run of the house at night and she sleeps beside my bed with Shadow on the bed with me. I'm loving it.

Guess I'll have to post more about the critters since you didn't know there were so many, hahaha.

Bob said...

I reckon my Tommy would like to play with Grace, in fact he would probbaly like to play with all your friends.