Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Music is Soothing

I listen to the CBC Radio every time I drive my truck. I find it to be an interesting station with great talk shows and even some good music.  The local stations don't play music that I like, so I got into listening to the CBC and found that most days I enjoy it.  One of the interesting stories I heard on there recently was about a professional musician (I forget now who he was) who had gotten into legal trouble and went to jail for some time.  He is out now, but hasn't forgotten his experience and in some ways has turned this negative into a positive.  I respect anyone that can do that, change a negative into a positive.  Anyway, what he is doing is collecting guitars (Yamaha, Washburn, Gibson, Fender, even Michael Kelly Guitars, brand doesn't matter to him) and sending them into prisons for the inmates to use.  This is a kind and generous thing for him to do, in my opinion.  I think that it will help the inmates to find a good way to channel their excess energies that perhaps got them into trouble in the first place. Whether they know how to play a guitar already, or need to learn this skill, it could be a very positive thing for them.  Also, I believe that music is calming and healing to most of us. 

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."  
William Congreve

No comments: