Monday, August 25, 2008

Bridging The Gap - Day 2


Hello, and welcome to Day 2 of me hosting my first Photo Challenge. I so much enjoyed Melli's Dragon Hunt, and Quilly's Reflect This. They have been such fun and really bridged the gap between many of us around the world. That is what inspired me to host this challenge.


This Photo Challenge is BRIDGING THE GAP.
The idea is to post photos you’ve taken, or you are in, showing a bridge. Tell us something about the bridge, and/or what was happening when you took the photo. Of course, link back here, and leave a message, so we can all come have a look at what you've left for us.



About an hours drive from where I live, there is was a bridge, spanning Okanagan Lake, that had a large floating section. At one end there was a 'normal' bridge, then the floating section, then the lift span. At certain hours of the day this span would lift for the larger boats to pass through. It was a 3 lane bridge, one north bound and one south bound, the middle lane being switched between north and south, depending on the amount of traffic flow.

In June this year, the "new" bridge they've been building was opened, so the "old" bridge was closed and is currently in the process of being dismantled and disposed of. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any photos of the new bridge when I went across it on the way to and from my trip a couple weeks ago. However, on February 27, 2007, I drove a friend to an appointment not far from the bridge. While she was in her appointment, I had 'time to kill', so wandered to the park across the street. From there I took photos of what at that time was the only bridge there. Here are some of those photos.

This one is 'wide angle' so shows most of the bridge in the distance. On the far end, if you enlarge it by clicking on it, you can see the ground, then the bridge, then the floating section, leading to the lift span at the close end (or do it backwards, haha)

Here you see the lift span connecting to the land on one end and to the floating section on the other end.

And a closer view of the lift span. I wish I'd been there when they lifted it so I could take photos of that process too.

IF you are Bridging The Gap, leave your link with Mr. Linky to insure that we all can come check out your bridge. If you are or are not, still leave a comment. :o)
Enjoy your day!!

My appologies to those of you who had problems with Mr. Linky. It was my fault, haha. I used Mr. Linky for BRIDGING THE GAP, and for Manic Monday. It turns out that unless I 'upgrade' I can only use it one time per day. So, now the one on Manic Monday won't work anymore, but this one should.








16 comments:

Carletta said...

Hi Alice,
This one reminds me of a couple of old bridges in Virginia where I used to live. Little tight lanes. I was near Navy and InterCoastal Water Ways so we got stopped a lot crossing ANY bridge. Wish I were still there for this challenge.

At your invitation I decided to join in and my first one is up.

MaR said...

Again, a beautiful bridge and scenery!! I think it is the first one I see with a floating section, very interesting!!

Anonymous said...

Carletta - I trust those are happy memories you have? I'm glad you are joining in and Bridging The Gap!! On my way over.

Mar - thank you very much. I am blessed to live in a very beautiful area of this world.

Jientje said...

What a beautiful lake, and a beautiful bridge over it!
There's even a reflection in the water too!
Mine is up now too, I did a "special" on the Tower of London!

Can't find that Mr Linky anymore, it was up this morning when I came here?

Gattina said...

That's beautiful ! and I still haven't found a bridge (besides in my mouth !)

Anonymous said...

Alice,
my dad once promised me a drive across this bridge, but we never made it. (He was in an accident and hospitalized for quite a long time.) I feel kind of sad that they are taking it down. Now I can't even go by myself and remember that my dad wanted to take me.

I know I probably never would have done it. It was just one of those "Someday" things one tells oneself for comfort.

Anonymous said...

I see where Mr. Linky is supposed to be, but when I click him I don't get to sign up, I just get the widget to put a linky on my own page.

Carver said...

That is a fascinating bridge to me. So beautiful. I like how you showed the close ups as well as the wide angled shot. My day 2 of bridging the gap is up. For some reason I can't sign the linky. I could see others who had signed but it wouldn't let me sign in. Can you add my link for me? http://carverblog.blogspot.com/ Thank you. If you don't see this before I check back to visit others, I'll try again. I'm baffled by it.

Oh I wanted to mention that I did take the shot of the red bridge. I was cheating for the weekend snapshot part since those photographs are supposed to be taken during the week. I would never risk being in your doghouse although you have a beautiful dog. Cheers, Carver

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice!
This area is so beautiful. We have a couple of floating bridges in Washington state too. It's always so interesting to cross them. Have a great day. I have my day 2 link but I'm confused on how I'm suppose to sign in on Mr. Linky here...??
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/bridging-the-gap-day-two/

peppylady (Dora) said...

It sort of looks like the old bridge going across the kootenai river here.
With the metal support above the bridge.

I seem not to get Mr. Linky to work at this time.
But will come back later and give it a try.

Mine is up and coffee is always on.

Baba said...

Hi Alice, this looks like a fun challenge with the bridges... I started mine today..I live where we have many bridges and will share them with you...thanks for hosting..
Baba

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Hi Everyone!! Mr. Linky is working now. Sorry for any inconvenience. Now this has me thinking maybe I’ll pay for a Mr. Linky membership so I can use it in more than one post per day.

Jientje – Thanks, yes this is a very beautiful area of the world I am blessed to live in. I really liked that bridge and am sure glad I photographed it while it was still in use. I am really glad I didn’t end up using these for Quilly’s Reflect This challenge, haha.

Gattina – Glad you like it. Hey, photographer the bridge in your mouth… or the bridge of your nose, they’ll count as ‘out of the box’ shots, haha. Even an over pass on the highway is a type of bridge, you know. It Bridges the Gap between two points so vehicles can drive over the flow of other traffic. A bit ‘out of the box’, yet totally acceptable!!

Quilly – I’m sorry to hear about your Dad’s accident and hospitalization… and that you two never made it to drive over this bridge. I’m glad I was able to give you some photos of it still in use. I also think it sad they are taking it down. I think they should have left it there and designed the new bridge to be an addition, not a replacement. There could be one used for northbound traffic and one for southbound. I think it won’t be all that many years before this new bridge is no longer enough for the amount of traffic.

Carver - Thanks much for your compliments, glad you like the photos. Sorry about Mr. Linky issues, I added you to it once I fixed it. Thanks also for setting me straight on where you had ‘cheated’, hahaha. I promise, Reba wouldn’t mind you taking over her dog house… she spends most of her time inside the ‘big house’.

Ellen b - Thanks, yes it is beautiful here in the Okanagan Valley. I’m blessed to live here. This earth is so full of beauty, and I would love to visit so many other places around the world. Where in Washington state are the floating bridges? I was just in WA state, at Omak for Stampede weekend.

Peppylady – Sounds like a great bridge over there too… maybe you can post photos of it for us so we can see the similarity too. On my way over for a cup of tea, I’ll bring my own in case you haven’t any… being as you’re a coffee drinker, haha.

Baba – Welcome aboard!! So sounds like this will be a ‘cake walk’ for you, having so many bridges in your area. I will enjoy seeing them.

juliana said...

what a great bridge! and unique photos...

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,
Thanks for the Mr. Linky!
The 520 Bridge and the I-90 bridge are both floating bridges in the Seattle Area. They both cross Lake Washington from West to East...
the I-90 is the 5th or so longest floating bridge around supposedly...

Minkydo said...

Lovely frames! That bridge looks very long. It is kinda sad they are removing it even though it's probably safer to have the new one.

Melli said...

Haha! I had a draw bridge of SOME sort on my blog today too! I caught mine in action ... accidentally! Went out again today and found another bridge - so I'm still IN for tomorrow anyway! LOL! I LIKE your bridge -- I wish you had caught it being lifted too!