Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Thursday 13


THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun!

<><><><><><><><><><><>

I enjoy playing Thursday 13, though lately I've been so busy that my T13ing has been rather hit and miss. I'm going to work at doing better, haha.

I've decided to do an alphabet thing for the next 26 weeks. I had wanted to do 13 As, then 13 Bs, etc., but tonight I can't think of 13 As, so decided instead to do the 1st 13 letters this week, and the 2nd 13 next week. In this time I'll give consideration to the 'other way', though 13 Xs? One X would be a challenge, haha.

I'm currently doing a daily Alphabet Photo Challenge which is a lot of fun and creative challenge, so this should be fun too. I invite you to check out this challenge too.


So, this week is:




to


1: A - ALICE is my first name. My paternal grandmother was Alice Anita Olive (maiden name Boyd or Boyde... we have records with both spellings). My sister got Anita for her middle name, and when I was born Dad said "Alice Olive" to which my Mom said "No way is any of my children going to be called Olive." I have always been grateful to my Mom!!! I was given a popular name of the time as my middle name.

2: BBLONDE for many years. I started by getting blonde streaks in my naturally curly, naturally BROWN hair, then when they were growing out too much I got more streaks, then again, and again. Each time I got more streaks to hide to roots of the older ones, I looked blonder. I always had brown in there and after awhile several different shades of blonde, therefore it always looked very natural and no one ever guessed it was the artistry of my hairdresser. (I’m now allergic to hair dye so am my natural brown with some silver.)

3: CCARING about others and about animals, while usually feeling more comfortable and safe with animals than with humans. I know what to expect from an animal and how to deal with it. An animal will never deliberately, consciously plot/plan to hurt you with malice or intent… a human will.

4: D DARING to face my fears. I have often done things to face the fears I have. In some cases, I overcame the fear while in others I have still retained the fear, but am not as controlled by it.

5: E – I currently have 5 EARRINGS in each ear. At one time I had 7 piercings in each ear. The hole in the very top of the ear wouldn’t heal so finally I gave up and took the earring out. It quickly healed over, and I still have the scars all these years later. The other 6 holes were all along the outside edge rather than the top of the ears and they were all fine for a long time until the top one started to cause problems. Every once in a while one or the other would get infected, so I’d treat it and all would be fine again, but gradually that earring in the right ear moved and twisted. It’s hard to explain, but it was obvious that the ear was trying to get rid of the foreign object. Eventually that hole infected and nothing I did would heal it, so finally I took the earring out and it quickly healed up. I then took the matching earring out of the other ear too. So now I have 5 in each ear.

6: F – When I was younger and going to the bars a lot I always painted my FINGER nails to match what I was wearing. I sometimes changed the polish twice a day when I changed my clothing. I had a blouse that had a black body with a blue left sleeve and a pink right sleeve, so with it I wore black polish on my thumbs, blue polish (just the right shade of blue) on the fingers of my right hand and just the right pink on the fingers of the left hand. That way I could cross my hands over my chest and have the black thumb nails on the black body with the blue on blue and pink on pink. Everyone loved this sort of thing and always came to see my nails.

7: G – I’ve never really had one favourite color, but GREEN is one color I’ve always loved. Of course, that depends on the shade of green, and on what it is to be used, mind you. I painted the walls in my loom room a beautiful light green, sort of a bluish green, not the yellowish green, and I really like the feeling of that room.

8: HHORSES! Yup, I’ve always loved horses!! My parents of course, both grew up with horses and in fact, the horse was a way of life in their younger lives. When my mother was a baby, in 1923, her parents were still going to town in a horse drawn wagon. During the ‘dirty 30s’, Dad made his living ‘breaking’ wild, full grown horses that had never seen man before. However, in my early years there were no horses on our farm. When I was 8 years old we got our first horse, and it went from there. Each of us ‘kids’ got our own horses and rode in clubs and with friends on their horses. I believe I was 16 when we sold the last of our horses and moved ‘into town’. I’ve been blessed to have horses in my life on and off since then, other peoples horses, though I currently only have a horse tattoo on my shoulder and 2 western saddles in my loom room.

9: I – Much of my life I have felt INVISIBLE. I'm now working at being INVINCIBLE!! Enough on that one.

10: J – One of the many crafts I’ve done over the years of my life is Native style bead work. While doing this craft I made a lot of JEWELLRY. Earrings, chokers, medicine bag necklaces, hair decorations, etc.

11: K – The only words coming to mind right now are KANGAROO and KOALA… neither of which I’ve ever seen other than in photos. All other K sounding words that are coming to mind are spelled with a C, so don’t work. If I think of something else, something to do with my life, I’ll edit it in.

12: L LIGHT is something I need a lot of in my life, especially in the winter months. I can’t stand dark, grey days, need bright lights and bright colors around me. I guess I get light deprived, so I often have to sit in front of a S.A.D. light.

13: M – I got MARRIED at age 17 to a boy who was 18. The first 6 months were good and after that it all went down hill fast and far. He thought he owned me and I don’t believe in slavery. When I was 20 (3 years, 3 months & 5 days after we married) I left him, one year to the day later I filed for divorce. I was 22 when my divorce became final. I’d gotten it on the grounds of Mental Cruelty, not an easy one to prove and yet I had more proof than I needed and that really upset the judge.


Join me next week for 14: N to 26: Z.

Maybe I'll even start back at A again after that, and before long you'll know more about me than my 'Family of Origin' does. Oh heck, any of you that frequent this blog already do know more about who I am than they do, hahaha.



3 comments:

anthonynorth said...

An interesting life there. Thanks for sharing.

Hootin Anni said...

The 5 earrings is something my daughter has done. It looks good on young girls for sure, but at my age? LOL


My 13 is a gross group of funny advertisements I made up for fun, and using this week's 'gross' theme for T-13. Hope you can stop by.

Gattina said...

Very interesting to read about you ! I also love light and hate the short and dark winter days. I think I was born on the wrong side of the world,lol ! Getting married with 18 !! at that age I only had dancing and flirting in my head, although I always thought it was THE MAN of my life, but never very long because then I found another Man of my life !
I married when I was 25 which was very late in 1969 when I was fat up of the "right" man, lol ! This marriage lasts now for 39 years.