Monday, August 20, 2007

What Are These??

Here are a couple photos taken on my Sunday afternoon drive. I think they are choke cherries, but am not sure and would love it if you could tell me (if you know, of course). They have small pits inside them and taste kind of nice. As always, click on the photo if you would like a larger view of it.

Can these be used for making jelly? You wouldn't believe all the trees hanging full of these where I was on my drive. A ton of free fruit for the picking!!



ALSO, I posted some new photos on Decisions Decisions. I haven't been feeling happy about the photos I had for the animal entries I'm needing, so took a drive after church just to take photos of animals. Check it out and let me know what you think! Please!

3 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

Those are what I've always called choke cherries.
I've never tasted them, because our birds get them too quick.
If you've tasted them and liked them, then I'm sure they'd make a nice jelly!

Travis Cody said...

At first glance they looked like grapes to me. But when you said they were on trees I guess that means they can't be grapes.

They look very light in color to be cherries, but I'll take your and Mo's word for it. I don't know much about different varieties of cherries.

Anonymous said...

Mo, thank you. Good to know they are what I thought them to be. I guess they aren't poisonous or I'd be sick or dead by now, haha. I didn't eat a lot of them, just a small handful as I wasn't sure what they were.


Travis, choke cherries are more like a berry. I think the lighter colored ones may not be as ripe as the darker ones. I ate some of the dark ones. Notice the size of the wasp on the ones in the top photo... it will give you an idea of the size of them. Even at that size they have a pit in them very much like a cherry pit. I'm not sure that they're really cherries or if they're a berry. Guess I should Google 'choke cherry' haha.