Wednesday, February 28, 2007

SHHHH

As I said in my last post, I'm not supposed to share anything, even responses to my writing, with anyone off the writers list. And I have always kept to that, but this time I just have to share this one as it so inspired me. I have changed the name of the writer to protect her identity and anonymity, so I hope this makes it okay.


Alice: You go girl. I have just one question for you. What if you did get the membership and everything worked out the way you dream it would, what then?
Anne

Thank you, Anne. I LOVE your response.

If I did get the membership and everything worked out the way I dream it would, I would be far healthier and happier than I am now. I highly expect I would be a lot slimmer, but even if I wasn’t, so long as my cardio-vascular system was healthier and my muscles stronger it would be a good thing. Also, as a bonus, I will have the social aspect of being among people and making new friends. I’ve read/heard/seen on TV, that exercise helps reduce the chance of some types of cancer, of heart disease which kills more women each year than cancer does, and of type 2 diabetes for which I am at high risk due to family history/genetics. So all of that is very positive and well worth becoming an active member of the gym.

Just as I wrote “active member” it popped into my head that I take being a member of things as a very active role. For example, when I became a member of my church I did not become a passive member, but an active one. I took on the job of designing, printing, assembling the Sunday Program each week. Then I became a member of the Board of Trustees and became more active. I took on the job of Treasurer for nearly a year which I recently resigned and took on the job of Membership Chairperson. In both these positions I have been very active and given much of my time to. I also have taken on other small jobs around the Centre, most involving computer work.

When I make a commitment I stand by it. So I know that when (not if, but when) I become a member of the gym I will be an active member, and I will be better for it.

Imma JoiningToday

Namaste
Alice

2 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I like the writing prompts. That's a very good way to get the words flowing.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Yes Travis, the prompts are a really good way to get the words flowing. It can be hard to write some days, as I'm sure you already know, lol, and the prompts can really get you started. I also was given a quart jar full of little pieces of paper that have stuff written on them. The idea of these is to pick a paper out of the jar, read it and write on that subject.