Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Canadian Coins

Canada used to have paper bills for $1 and $2 amounts, then with plans to save money,  the powers that be decided to replace these bills with coins that last longer than bills.

First brought out was the gold colored 1 dollar coin, nicknamed the Loonie for the waterfowl emblazoned one one side of it. The other side has an image of Queen Elizabeth II, as do all Canadian coins. The Loonie was released to the public June 30, 1987.

Wow, it is so hard to believe it has already been 25 years!!



 The Canadian 2 dollar coin, commonly called Toonie, was introduced on February 19, 1996. It is a bi-metal coin with the reverse side showing an image of a Polar Bear floating on an ice flow.




Recently I found I had a Toonie that was different than any I remember seeing before.  It has not just 1 Polar Bear, but 3 of them! A mother bear and 2 cubs.


I was very excited to find this coin and I set it aside in my wallet to save it.  I have a friend who is a coin collector so knows much about rare coins, uncirculated coins, valuable coins, etc., and if he does not have the information he has connections with people who can tell him what he needs to know.  One day I was talking to George at the funeral of a mutual friend of ours, and I took the opportunity to mention my coin to him.  He said it is a common coin, though I thought it would be a rare one.  I have kept my eyes open, checking all the Toonies I get, and yet have still not seen another one with the family on it.

Sadly, I lost my coin that I had planned to keep and to even turn into a necklace to wear around my neck each day. I hope I find my coin again, or another one like it.  I guess if that is meant to be, it will be.





No comments: