Friday, July 31, 2009

A Day In The Life...

This evening I'm watching a movie on W Network called Beauty Shop, with a fabulous cast (Queen Latifah, Djimon Hounsou, Alfre Woodard, Kevin Bacon, Mena Suvari, Andie MacDowell, Alicia Silverstone, Della Reese, Keshia Knight Pulliam). Very funny.

Another hot, dry day (34.3°C) behind us here in the Okanagan Valley of BC. I head on the radio today that the government & forestry are asking people to stay out of the bush (forest, woods, whatever you like to call it) due to the extreme fire hazards. Not only are they concerned about people starting fires (as all too often happens), but we've been having lots of lightening storms lately and some fires have resulted from lightening strikes, so it is not safe to be out there just now... or so 'they' are saying.

Over the past week I've been bringing home pellets for my stove to burn this winter, to keep my home warm. Usually, in June & July, the pellet factory has a summer sale on, so that is when I choose to stock up for the coming winter. Unfortunately, this year they don't have a sale on. I like to get the straight Fir pellets, not the SPF (Spruce Pine Fir mix) as the fir burn hotter & have less ash, so better quality for the money, even though about $15 per ton more. Last Friday, I spent most of the day working on the flat deck trailer I was given. I had started to paint the tounge but was unable to complete the job due to being swarmed by mosquitoes, so I finished that job, then I wired tail lights onto it. This was the first time I've ever done something like this, so was glad to see the lights working when all was done. Not that I'd had any doubt, mind you. I mean, it's not as if it's rocket science. By the time all the work was done, my upper back was starting to feel burned, so I knew I was in big trouble. Yup, I had an extremely bad burn on my upper back, especially down the middle of it, and even up on the neck as I had my hair up while working. It's already peeled, most of the pain is now gone, and some has turned to tan while some is still red and the itch is still there that comes with healing. I'll keep flogging the oils to it. Hmmm... there is more to this story and I think I'll tell it in another post as I have photos to go with it.

Sunday eve I was outside and got bitten by a mosquito so was scratching my ankle where the bite was. I scratched it raw, then it got infected and I've been fighting that too. It's much better now and will soon be healed.

Other than those little blips, all is great here. The 'Pasta Masta' is at it again as I plan and work towards the upcoming Pasta Productions. The meal will be Penne with choice of 3 different sauces, tossed salad with choice of dressings, and most likely garlic toast. All fairly easy. Master guitarist/songwriter/recording artist Chris Madsen will open for our guest musician from Calgary Alberta, Inspirational singer/songwriter/pianist/recording artist Anthony Burbidge as he promotes his new CD. The Pasta Productions evenings are fund raisers I put on occasionally for the Centre for Spiritual Living. Loads of work, and wonderful evenings to make it all worth while. I did up tickets on the computer tonight, one set for dinner & concert $20, and one set for just concert $15.

Today I made a quick trip to the pellet factory and brought home the last 1/2 ton I will need to get for this winter. Dan phoned and said don't bother unloading the truck, he'll come by in the morning and do it for me. Shucks! I won't touch a bag then. :o) Now, the next job is fill the utility trailer for a trip to the dump, and maybe paint that trailer, it could sure use it.

I also have been fitting in time to read some really great books. Things like "Ask & It Is Given", "Money & the Law of Attraction", "The Astonishing Power of Emotions" all by Ester & Jerry Hicks and from the public library, and a book Wendy loaned me called "The Shack" by Wm. Paul Young. Add to that "Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn. I am very much enjoying all of them and wish I had more time to read and to write. I keep thinking it would be nice to go to a mountain lake and 'drown worms' while sitting on the shore with my books. Read & fish, more read than fish, lol, and be happy if I catch lunch. I have several other books waiting for me to read them as well as a set of tapes from the library. Ahhhh yes, and I still want to get some major cleaning done in this house. (ya right).

And with that, at 2:17am, I am going to say good night and start getting ready for bed.

2 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been one hot July here. For the average high 95.7 (35.3)
I got a weather report for the month of July over on my blog.

Coffee is on.

quilly said...

Alice - -my ex- strolled up to me one day as I was sitting on the river bank. I had a pole under my thigh, the line was in the water, and a novel was open in my lap. the ex- asked, "Catch anything?"

I reached out with my left and and raised my trout string. I had three fish and the limit was six. Then I raised my pole so the line lifted free of the water and I showed him that I had no bait and had even removed the hook. "They were interrupting my reading," I said.