Thursday, March 19, 2009

Three Word Thursday

Three Word Thursday #6

I haven't even had time to visit all the participants from last week and it's this week again already. If it wasn't for the different prompts, I'd think I was living through "Groundhog Day", the movie where the guy keeps living the same day over and over. It seems I just lived Thursday. Come to think of it, it seems like I already wrote to these 3 words too.


The Week Six words are:
sternutation - [stur-nyuh-tey-shuhn] - noun; the act of sneezing... A sneeze. {Dictionary.com}
zoilist - A rude, nasty, or dishonest critic that enjoys finding faults in others. {Yahoo Answers}
anopisthograph - [an-uh-pis-thuh-graf, -grahf] - noun; a manuscript, parchment, or book having writing on only one side of the leaves. {Dictionary.com}




Cassy was pretty specific on how her housework was to be done. She'd been raised they a mother who was very much a zoilist, so she had had to do things perfectly. Now she lived on her own, and could do things her own way, but the old ways were deeply ingrained in her. As she filled the washer with her clothes, she carefully cleaned+ the laundry hamper before returning it to its spot beside the door to the laundry room.

Now with that done, while the machine ran through its cycle, Cassy could take some time to eat lunch and read from the anopisthograph book she was very much enjoying. It had writing on only one side of each leaf, and a small sketch on the other side, a very old book that she had recently picked up at the antique shop down town.

No sooner had she sat down with her sandwich and book, when she heard a faint sternutation, then another, followed by a knock on the door. Drat! Now she wouldn't get to the book after all. Putting down her sandwich she washed the bite down with a drink of milk before going to see who it was.

"Hello Mam. My name is Joey Cooper. I was just wondering if you need anything done here, like maybe your lawn mowed or something like that. I work cheep and do a good job."

Cassy thought a moment, then, "How are you with fixing things, Joey?"

"Pretty good with most things like that, Mam."

"Call my Cassy. I'll grab you some tools and some bolts and screws. You can fix that gate you just came through. I'll give you lunch and ten dollars. How's that?"

"Yes Mam! I mean, Cassy, Mam. I can fix that gate no problem and the lunch and money will help out a lot." Joey said, joyfully.

"And if you do a good I can probably find a few other things for you to do around here. Plus I have a few friends." Cassy told the young man, amazed at the ear to ear smile he had on his face, as if this was a real big deal.

"I'll go get those tools and such. I'll be right back."


Now, after you leave me your comments, you can go visit Quilly's Pacific Paradise and see other participants stories.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We may soon return to the days of barter when trading work for food was the norm. Good story.

bettygram said...

Good use of the words and I like that the man got work.

Jientje said...

I enjoyed the story, it felt like I was sitting there with you having coffee and lunch!

Dr.John said...

I just love happy endings. You used all the words and lifted our spirits . We can't ask more.
Well we could.
I don't want to be a zoilist but you might stop moderating comments and learn to love the few nuts that are out there.
You can always delete anything offensive.

Anonymous said...

Alice great story. I love the continuation from Choosing A New Life. I wonder what interesting tasks Cassy is going to have for him. Great work.

Raven said...

Another happy ending. Nicely done!