Monday, February 16, 2009

Heads or Tails & Ruby Tuesday

Mary/The Teach hosts Ruby Tuesday, a photo challenge where, on Tuesdays, participants post photos with red in them.


THIS week's theme/prompt is:
HEADS - "Legend"
Make any kind of post using "Legend" as your prompt.
-----
The theme/prompt for next week, February 24, will be:
HEADS - "Case"
*OR*
TAILS - Anything that "Rhymes With Case"
Make any kind of post using either "Case" or "Rhymes With Case" as your prompt. You can even use both.



Legend has it that birds have played many large parts in life over the millennium. I have included one of the many legends I found on birds.

Birds in Mythology

Rising above the earth and soaring through the skies, birds have been symbols of power and freedom throughout the ages. In many myths and legends, birds link the human world to the divine or supernatural realms that lie beyond ordinary experience.

Birds assume a variety of roles in mythology and religion. They play a central part in some creation myths and frequently appear as messengers of the deities. They are often associated with the journey of the human soul after death. Birds also appear as tricksters and oracles. Ravens and other species that feed on carrion, the flesh of the dead, may be symbols of war, death, and misfortune, as well as mediators between humans and the supernatural world. Other birds represent strength, love, and wisdom.

Winged Wisdom

Birds in mythology sometimes have the ability to speak. These talking birds, often sources of wisdom, may be deities in bird form or simply messengers of the deities. Either way, their advice is generally sound, and humans ignore it at their peril. Birds warn of dangers ahead, reveal secrets, and guide heroes and travelers on their way.

Birds do not always speak in human languages; many stories tell of people who gain the power to understand the language of birds. In Greek mythology, a snake licked the ears of the prophet Cassandra, who could then understand what the birds were saying. After tasting the magical blood of a slain dragon, the German hero Siegfried knew what the forest birds were saying.



Now, here is Paco. The newest addition to my home. He is a Ringneck Parrot who I am hoping will mate with DW (see her photo in sidebar). Paco is a very friendly and wonderful bird who rode around on my shoulder a lot today, as well as ate bits of apple from my fingers. In one day I already am in love with Paco, and if DW doesn't fall in love with him, then she's crazy.

Want a better view of Paco? Of his red beak? Or the pink & white rings around his neck? Click on the photo and it will give you a larger version.


To visit these meme headquarters, and to check out other participants, click on the above icons... they're linked to whisk you away!

13 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Oh this is going to be a 'fabulous feedback' for sure....I so loved reading about the mythological blog you have on talking birds. How birds can warn us of impending danger....the ravens and connection of human souls...wonderful!!!!!

My H o T legend this week is posted now...do drop by if you have a moment.

Happy Tuesday.

Barb said...

Paco is sooooo beautiful! I do hope DW realizes this.

As I looked at your sidebar I couldn't help remembering the lost chinchilla story. :)

Robyn Jones said...

Paco is beautiful!! Liked your take on legends...Have a great day!

Linnea said...

What a striking bird to have hanging around the house. I've never seen this combination of coloring before. Awesome. I think Paco is a keeper!

anthonynorth said...

A marvellous, informative post, and the bird is lovely.

Carletta said...

Wow, he is a beautiful bird!
I love the contrast of color between his feathers and his beak.

Thanks Alice for the birthday wishes. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful bird..I hope they do get along. A friend of mine just lost one of her birds to being egg bound and she is devastated...Michelle

Anonymous said...

This was so interesting! I love the pictures. I have always been a bit afraid of birds.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the informative post on bird legend. Paco is very sweet, I look forward to seeing baby parrots someday.

As I read down I caught sight of Grace Hawk, I so wish that I could hug her. I love rabbits! My bunny, Softie, I have no idea what kind he was, was rescued from a field where someone had dumped him. He lived several years with us and even slept on my bed.

Unknown said...

What a cool series for Ruby Tuesday. That red on the yellow feathers is amazing to behold. Just beautiful.

dot said...

Wow, what a fantastic looking bird! Beautiful shots!

♥ Kathy said...

The bird is beautiful!

maryt/theteach said...

Fantastic yellow bird with a wonderful RED beak, Alice! Great job! Thanks for participating in Ruby Tuesday!