Saturday, November 22, 2008

Passing....

It is with sadness that I must tell you ...

In the early hours of this morning, Kashi passed away. Kashi was my little 'rat boy', a cute little white rat. One day recently, he seemed a bit lethargic, but the next day he seemed fine. Since then he's continued to seem fine until yesterday. When I got home, after 11pm, I fed him and he was totally not interested in his food. He has always been so excited about his food, so this was a huge red flag. He came out of his cage onto my arm, so I let him ride around on me, then I sat here for a long time with him cuddled up on me. Finally, when I had to go to bed, I put him back into his cage and wondered if he would be alive when I saw him again. He was breathing very heavily. At that hour, it would be impossible to get a vet to see him. Sure enough, when I got up 4 hours later and checked on him, he was already gone.

With my beliefs, I know he is in a good place now. Death is not a bad thing. What I do feel bad about it that he suffered to at least some degree before he went. I wish I could have gotten him medical help. However, I guess it was not to be. I am glad, however, that the ground is not yet frozen too much to bury him in the "Pet Cemetary" here in my yard.

Thank you for sharing and enriching my life for the short time you lived here with me, my little friend Kashi. I will miss you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about kashi's passing. It's always sad when we lose our furbabies...

Big hugs...

maryt/theteach said...

Aaww! Alice I'm sorry for your loss! Whether human or animal loss, the loss is still great, I know! Keep in mind your many memories will help during this time! :)

Gattina said...

How sad ! It's always terrible to loose an animal !

Travis Cody said...

I'm so sorry for this loss.

Anonymous said...

Alice -- I am saddened by your loss. I know your animals are precious to you and that you care for them well. You did what you could for Kashi. Do no fret over that which you couldn't do. As you said, he is now at peace.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sorry to hear the passing of your beloved kashi's passing.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, but you're right...no more suffering for little Kashi.

Big HUGS!