Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving day in Canada
is October 13th this year, the second Monday of October, though most of the people I know celebrate it on the Sunday. I went to my sister's home for dinner today and it was fabulously delicious. She got all the cooking and house cleaning skill genes, and I got pretty much none of them.

Thanksgiving day is, I believe, meant to be about Gratitude. We all love the eating of the turkey dinner and all the fixings, but how many people really focus on being grateful for anything past the food? I think no where near enough. Oh, Mom said 'grace' before we ate this evening, and thanked her idea of God for the people there and the food we were about to receive, something that's only done at special meals, not at all meals with our family, and we all thanked M for the wonderful dinner she served us, but no one said a word about being grateful for anything else in their lives. In years gone by, I have encouraged/insisted, that they share with us all something they are grateful for... but I didn't do so this year. Not sure why. Maybe just that it's not my job to force other people to be grateful for anything.




I like to focus on Gratitude every day, not just one day of the year. I believe that when you give energy to your feelings of gratitude, the Universe gives you more to be grateful for. Just like, when you whine about how bad life is treating you, the Universe gives you more to whine about. I want more to be grateful for. How about you? Which do you want?



I am grateful for my home. It is safe and comfortable, and best of all, it is mine.
I am grateful for the cat curled up against me as I sit here and type this.
I am grateful for my computer and for all the things it helps me do.
I am grateful for the little parrot that shares my life and makes me laugh several times a day when she says "Pretty Bird" over and over, expecting me to repeat it back to her... and I do.
I am grateful for the chair I am sitting in as I type this.
I am grateful for the TV I enjoy watching.
I am grateful I am able to walk, to talk, to hear, to see. Not everyone can do these things.
I am grateful my Mom is still alive and basically well at age 85.
I am grateful for my brothers and sisters, even though we are not as close as I'd like us to be.
I am grateful for friends I have in my life.
I am grateful for the clothes I wear, including the 'hand me down' pants my sister gave me this evening. (Is it okay to wear turquoise after Labor Day? haha)
I am grateful for the love and loyalty of my dog.
I am grateful for all or my animals.
I am grateful that all my animals are healthy and happy.
I am grateful for my truck that I love driving and for how dependable it is.
I am grateful my truck is a 4x4 that gets me up and down my driveway safely all winter.
I am grateful for my bed that supports me in fair comfort while I sleep each night.
I am grateful for the hydro it takes to run all my electrical appliances and 'toys'.
I am grateful for the pellets that are burning in the stove and keeping my home warm on this chilly night.
I am grateful for the Okanagan Centre for Spiritual Living, and the huge part it plays in the improvements in my life.
I am grateful for Rev. Dale Jukes and his wonderful wife Hannah, as well as all people that are involved with the OK-CSL.
I am grateful for the beautiful card and gorgeous chunk of amethyst Chris left at the Centre for me. A gift to express his appreciation for me being who I am, for treating him with love and support.
I am grateful for sunny days with beautiful blue skies.
I am grateful for the money that flows into my life.
I am grateful for my spiritual understanding, and for the part it plays in my life.
I am grateful I am at peace, grateful I lead a peace filled life.
I am grateful for the books I've read and for those I will read.
I am grateful that I have been cigarette free for 20 years (and some days).
I am grateful for the courses I've taken, and for those I will take.
I am grateful for Toastmasters and all I learn there.
I am grateful for everything/everyone that triggers me to laugh.
I am grateful to have a new 'challenge' to have fun with. I am putting together a Pasta Dinner followed by a Talent Show. I call it Pasta Productions!!
I am grateful for all the plants I have growing in pots in my home.
I am grateful for YOU, for all people that come by to read my blogs.

I am also grateful that I could go on and on and on.... and I'm sure you are grateful that I'm not going to, hahaha.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you … gratitude is a focus of mine every day … and I try to focus on what’s right rather than what’s wrong consistently. Your post is a wonderful reminder for all of us … thank you for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Alice! ♥