Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Quote of the Day

...it means much to have loved, to have been happy, to have laid my hand on the living Garden, even for a day.


-- Jorge Luis Borges --


I’ve given this quote some thought, and have looked back at the pain of a broken heart, the anguish of loosing a lover, and have asked myself how the quote applies to me, what it means to me. Do I agree with it? Disagree? “It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all”. I don’t know who originally said that, and I won’t even try to remember how many times I’ve heard it over my lifetime, but it seems to me that it’s saying basically the same thing as the above quote. So… is it true? When I’ve heard it, I didn’t think so, but years later, looking back, how does it feel now? Hmmmm… I wish I could have loved and never lost, and yet, when I think about how far I’ve come as a person, as a woman, since each of those ‘losses’, I can see where it is good that most if not all of those relationships came to an end. If they hadn’t, I would not be who I am now, and I like me now. I have not always liked me. So, would it be better to just have never loved, so avoided the pain of loss? No, I’d have to say not. It would be sad to never have loved anyone, and I wonder if I could love me if I’d never loved anyone else. You see, if I’d never loved anyone else, I would not know how to love, so could not love myself or anyone ever. I believe we are meant to love while we are here, so it would have been a total waist of my life if I’d never loved anyone. So… is it better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all? I have to say yes. AND I hope that one day I will meet a wonderful man who I can love, who loves me, and whom I won’t loose.


No comments: