Sunday, September 28, 2008

Manic Monday - Nuts

First, I want to congratulate Mo, at It's A Blog Eat Blog World. Mo is the creator of Manic Monday, and up until now has been running his meme from his home blog. Now, Mo has started up a new blog specifically as the home for Manic Monday.
Each week, Mo gives a word for us to post about in any way we choose. The word this week is nuts.

My weekend has been totally nuts. Mostly good nuts, but some not so good, though in the end may prove positive.

On Friday, I got a phone call I hadn't expected, and was very happy to get. My dear, long time friend, Cam, was about a half hour from my place and wanted to meet for lunch. Hey, count me in!! Cam lives in the Kootenays, the way I drive about 4 to 5 hours from here. If one was to drive the posted speed limits, it would take... well... longer. Hehe.

So I had a very nice time visiting with Cam, then got a good look at his "new" car. 33 years ago, Cam bought this car in bad need of a lot of restoration work. Just up his alley, haha. Over the years, he has kept his eyes open and collected bit, pieces and parts he would need for the job, then for the last 7 (or was that 9?) years, he has actually been doing the work. Six weeks ago, this 1947 De Soto returned to the road.

Cam drove back to Williams Lake area, back to the property he had originally found this car on, and was delighted to find that the same man still owns and lives on this place. They parked the car back in the spot it had been in way back when and took photos of it there. I guess the man was very happy to see his old car fully restored and back on the road. Cam also drove back to a town near here where his grandfather had lived. He has a photo of his grandfather's De Soto sitting in the driveway and though it was a 4 door and his is a 2 door, he and the people that now live there recreated the scene as best they could, and took photos.

Saturday, I got a phone call from another friend I haven't seen in a few years, and found out he's now married again. They were in town to pick up some of his stuff from storage, then going back to Alberta. We were going to get together for coffee, but it didn't happen.

After I did some volunteer work at the Centre for Spiritual Living, I went riding horses. I think it's about 4 years, maybe a bit more, since I last rode. I've sOO much missed horses in my life, so it was great.

Saturday night, C1 called and said C2, the gal that owns the ranch and horses we'd ridden that day, was suicidal and could I go with her to help keep C2 alive. Of course, I went. C2 has had several animals die this last couple months, due to various different reasons, and is taking it very hard. Now, with her young goat having gotten into grain left out by one of her daughters, it was bloated and dying. She did all she could to try to save it, including putting a big needle into it's stomach to release some of the air building up there. A phone call to the vet was even made and he said there was nothing he could do that she wasn't doing, but it was a very slim chance the goat would survive. I came home about 4am as I had commitments for today. I later found out that the goat died about 6am. C2 held together for a few more hours until she had taken 'dudes' for a trail ride (she does this on her ranch, people come out, pay her, and she guides them on rides), then fell apart. In the end C1 had to call the police to come help with her. C2 is now in custody. Doctors couldn't assess her mental state as she had been drinking wine, so she has to be sober to be assessed, so for a time she's in police lock up, then will go to the hospital tomorrow. On top of all this, she also has big problems with her daughters. Rough place to be in.

I turned my light out at 4:15am, having set my alarm for 8:15am. I woke up at 9:45am and realized I had forgotten to turn the alarm on when I set it. See... nuts!! I'm supposed to be at The Centre by 10am on Sundays for song rehearsal before everyone else starts arriving.... I got there at 10:15am, and I'm nearly 15 minute drive from there. Good thing my clothes were ready for me to get into. I had to go without a shower or breakfast... sigh.
Song rehearsal followed by 10:30 meditation, then a cup of much needed tea.... then 11am service in which I was song leader for the congregation, as always. More tea and short visit with people, then the Board Meeting for about 2 1/2 hours. Picked up a few groceries and a power inverter for my truck on the way home. Got home and, after talking on the phone to C1, and checking emails, I slept for a few hours. Evening of TV & computer.

All day tomorrow must be practicing speech for tomorrow night, the one I used last week to win the Humorous Speech Contest at my Toastmasters Club. I get to represent it tomorrow as the more often you do it, the better you get at it, and I've made some changes to it. I will be competing in the Area contest in the near future. with this speech.

My apologies to those who have tried to view the speech video. I don't know what is the matter with YouTube, but will go back and upload it to YouTube again, then bring it over to re-post it to my blog and hope it will work right this time.

Happy Manic Monday. I hope your week isn't too nuts... unless it's that you are eating them.


bv said...

Wow, that is a nutty weekend!

Happy MM!

Anonymous said...

You need some calm.... Hope C2 will be okay. Sounds like she's going through a lot.

Happy Manic Monday

anthonynorth said...

That's a busy time - enough to drive anyone nuts.

Ivanhoe said...

That sure was a nutty weekend for you. I hope that C2 lady will get better.
Have a wonderful Monday :o)

Jamie said...

My very first car was a 1952 DeSoto given to me by my aunt in 1961. It was a great car and I'm sure your friend is enjoying his.

Travis said...

No picture of the '47? It sounds wonderful! Gotta love those old fat fenders!

Mo said...

Wow, that is NUTS!
I always wanted a goat, and I'm sad to learn of the little kid dying.
Thanks for participating in Manic Mondays!
Manic Mo