Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Shadow - my love



Just wanted to let you know I had to take Shadow (my beloved cat) to the vet today. He has to stay for the night, and maybe tomorrow night too. It appears that his kidneys are shutting down. He is dehydrated so is on IV fluids. The plan is to rehydrate him as well as flush the toxins out that the kidneys haven't been able to, and hope the kidneys will start to work properly again. The vet said IF this helps Shadow, it MAY extend his life, but is not a cure for him. It may be that his kidneys are just worn out. She said he could have 3 days, 3 weeks, or as much as a year or two, there is no way to know.

I picked his mother, Smoothedge, out of the litter when she was less than 24 hours old. When she was pregnant, I used to sit here and rub the little lumps in her tummy, petting her unborn babies. I remember the night she gave birth. I came home after a night out dancing and Smoothedge met me at the door. She was yowling and had these huge lumps sticking out of her body and moving around inside her. She`d yowl at me then head towards the box I`d given her for having the babies in, come back to me and yowl, etc etc. I got my boots off and followed her, then she went to the box and started giving birth right away. She had waited for me. That was April 28, 1991... nearly 17 years ago. I`m not sure how I`ll sleep without him on my bed with me... sigh.

At this time, the only `good`thing I can see here is that it`s spring, so the ground is thawing and I will soon be able to bury him with Smoothedge, D-O-G and Bronx in the `Pet Cemetery`in my orchard. This is a very sad time and I`m not sure how I`ll get through it, but I know I will.

I'll keep you updated.


No comments: