Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Toastmasters

On Monday evening I went to a Toastmasters meeting. I was a Toastmaster about 9 years ago, for about a year, and earned my CTM (Competant Toastmasters) Award. I was/am a charter member of the club that, at that time was called Positive Living Toastmasters, and since has been changed to Monday Night Vernon Toastmasters. Back in June the club celebrated it's 10th anniversary and I was invited to go to the celebration dinner. I went and very much enjoyed myself. The next week was the last meeting before the summer holidays, I was invited to go to it too and said yes.

At that meeting I was invited up to do a "Table Topic", a 2 minute 'mini speech' where you are given the topic you are to speak on, then you speak. They can sure be a lot of fun. I decided then that I wanted to go back to Toastmasters.

This month the meetings started into the fall season & I had to miss the first 2 meetings. One because I had another meeting the same night and couldn't change it. The second one because I was sick. So, the third meeting I made it to. I was again blessed with getting to stand up and speak to the Table Topic. I also got 'pushed in the pond' right away, haha. In other words, there is a Humorous Speech Contest next Monday and Barb 'pushed' me, okay it didn't take a hard push, but ya... my name is down for giving a 5-7 minute humorous speech next Monday. One week is not a long time to write and practice a speech... and first you need to have a topic on which you are going to speak. This is a really really big challenge at this point in my life.

When one should be sticking the tip of one toe in the water to see how it feels, I'm just diving right in. I hope it's not over my head. I'm open to ideas to talk about... lol.

No comments: