Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Fit Decision

I had emailed my Mom a few times the last several days and gotten no reply, so was beginning to wonder what was going on. So I phoned her this evening. For some strange reason, she hadn't gotten my emails. So all is well there, other than a minor illness again. Mom is 83, so I tend to get a wee bit concerned when I don't hear from her for awhile. Of course that's silly as if anything happened to her, my sister that lives in the same town would let the rest of us know.

Anyway, while we were talking I told Mom that I have been looking into joining a gym. She was so happy to hear that. She's been worried about my health and wanting me to loose weight and be more active, for some time now. A few years ago she offered me $500 if I would loose weight, I forget now how much I was to loose, but I was not able to do it. Not that I didn't try, but I was not successful.

I have gone to 2 different women only gyms in our city and compared them. Each one gave me a free 1 week pass so I could try the place out. This is basically what I came up with:

Goodlife Fitness: New, very nice gym. Upstairs in Great Canadian Super Store, so if I want to shop I can do so there. The Super Store was only built just over 1 year ago, so it's all a new facility. Entire gym on one level.
Ladies World: An older facility that has many good things about it, but is kind of shabby, in my opinion. Gym is on 2 levels, you have to go upstairs to use the treadmills.

Goodlife Fitness: Lots of equipment, all new stuff. Friendly, knowledgeable people working there.
Ladies World: Lots of equipment, not all that new but all in good shape, some the same as at Goodlife. Friendly, knowledgeable people working there.

Goodlife Fitness: Large locker room, lots of lockers, 2 small change cubicals for those who are shy, 6 showers (I think that's how many there were), I'm not sure how many toilets as I haven't used them there. Sauna.
Ladies World: Small locker room, 2 nice large change cubicals, 3 showers, 3 toilets. No sauna.

Goodlife Fitness: Park in Super Store lot, walk a fair distance to the building, a ways through the building and go upstairs by stairs or elevator.
Ladies World: Park in semi private lot, walk short distance to building, through the door you're in the club.

Goodlife Fitness: Missing one machine that LW has, maybe they'll get one soon?
Ladies World: Has a machine that's somewhat like cross country skiing, from what they tell me. I haven't tried it out yet, and am not sure how it would be for me with my low back problems.

Goodlife Fitness: Referral incentive: for every 5 names/numbers you give them to call, whether these people sign up or not, you get a t-shirt... cute and comes in black or red, your choice.
Ladies World: Referral incentive: for every 1 person that actually signs up and gives your name as referral person, you get 1 free month membership.

Goodlife Fitness: Incentive gift: when you sign up, you are given a Goodlife Fitness gym bag (nice bags), and a booklet of info on working out. Inside the booklet is a chart for you to fill out with what you do on each workout, then you get a gal that works there to initial it. After 12 workouts you get a gift. One example of that gift is a free tan, and she said there are other things too. She also said if I don't show up for a week she will phone me and ask if everything is okay and when can they expect me back. They really seem to care if you actually use the membership and succeed or not.
Ladies World: No incentive gifts.

Goodlife Fitness: 2 tanning booths, 1 where you stand and 1 where you lay down. When you sign up you are given 3 free tans. Not sure what it costs to buy more tans as I wasn't really interested in them unless they are free, haha.
Ladies World: 1 tanning booth, stand up. $19 + 6% tax per month for unlimited tanning.

Goodlife Fitness: No sign up fees.
Ladies World: Current sign up fee is $29 + 6% tax = $30.74

Goodlife Fitness: If I sign up by Feb. 28th, I pay $2 + 6% tax = $2.12 per month for the first 2 months (well, 8 weeks anyway), then they automatically take from my checking account $25 + 6% tax = $26.50 every 2 weeks, so that's a total of $53.00 per month.
($2.12 x 2) + ($53 x 10) = $534.14 per year.
Ladies World: I talked her into 1 free month to start if I sign up here, then it's $39.99 + 6% = $42.39 per month x 11 months = $466.28 per year + $30.74 sign up fee = $497.02

The difference is: $534.14 - $497.02 = $37.12

I told Mom a few, but not all, of the comparisons (prices, incentive gift, referral gift, that kind of thing) and she said it was obvious that Goodlife is the better one to join. This is exactly what I had been thinking. I am old enough to not need Mom's permission to do anything I want, but it is really nice to have her support in this. I feel this is a huge commitment as with both of these gyms I have to sign up for a full year.

I have, in the past, tried doing exercises at home. This doesn't work for me. I spend a lot of time at home and really need the social aspect of getting out and being with other people. When I'm out with others I feel happier and feel more like doing things. When home alone I have more problems with depression, I often sleep too much or just sit and watch TV. When among others I find it easier to fight the Chronic Fatigue than I do sitting her with my animals that are more than happy to have me sleeping with them. I need to have incentive and to be held accountable.

This will be a really good thing for my health; physically and emotionally.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Hello there Alice or Imma :)

I have journied to your blog via Annettes blog, my name is Debbie and I have been enjoying your site a great deal, you seem to have an excellent sense of humor and very postive energy. Your creativity is an inspiration to me as well :)

I do not want to come across as presumptious but I have a few thoughts about health that came to me while reading through some of your entries, if you wouldnt mind I would love to share a few ideas...? Since this is not real time I will go ahead and jot them down for you to take or leave as you see fit.

My initial thought while I was reading a statement in your current blog entry about you having a painful lower back, was that you may have a bowel problem that is a root cause of your discomfort. I continued to browse around your site and discovered that you also have a weight concern, which again reinforces my thought about the bowel problem. You mentioned that you have chronic fatigue syndrome at one point as well, which is connected to the bowels and the blood.
My instinct was to suggest that you do some real pure cleansing of your bowels and change certain aspects of your diet.

Having said all that, I can guarantee myself that you have probably heard these things many times before and I am also pretty sure that you have spent a great deal of time, money and energy on seeking a way to bring balance back to your body....

having said that, I feel there is a reason I came to your site and felt what I felt. I dont believe in coincidences.

I have only jotted down a partial sense of what I feel could help you restore your balance, however, if you are interested and for the sake of not being amazingly forward and presumptious, I welcome you to connect with me and I would be more than happy to share with you more detail with regard to what I feel would make a difference for you.

(deep breath) :) I feel a little awkward sending this, but what the heck... :)

Thank you for sharing yourself in your blog, its a wonderful place to visit and the atmosphere is like the hearth of a warm home :)

~ Sincerely, Debbie

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! Enjoy the new strength you will be feeling. I bet you're going to feel great!

Krista

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Debbie - thank you very much for caring enough to share this info. Thank you also for the wonderful compliments on my blog.

I have done some cleanses, though not sure if it's what you would recommend as it wasn't specifically for the bowel. Every morning I start my day with a bowl of rolled oats with dried cranberries and fresh ground flax seed. This has proved very beneficial in lowering my cholesterol levels and I'm sure is fantastic for my bowel. Due to a car accident in January 1983,I developed Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatique, so therefor depression too as it's a part of these diseases. Due to the pain I was on Tylonol #3 for a long time at a high dose so that caused problems, including chronic constipation for many years. In the last few years I have not had problems with that anymore. Also, I was never one to drink water, so that hasn't helped my health, but I am drinking more and more water now, working at forming a new habit as I know now the importance of water in a healthy body. I've been working on this for some time now, and it's still a day to day struggle. I've gone from drinking about 6 litres of Coke every day to rarely drinking any at all, or any pop (soda) at all for that matter.

I have been diagnosed with 2 deteriorated discs in my low back, one of which is also slightly herniated. Also, arthritis in the facet joints of my low back. My chiropractor thinks I also have arthritis in my upper back and neck, and I've got some in my finger joints too.

Lately I've been having Acid Reflux problems too.

There, I think I've covered it all now... haha. Now what do your instincts tell you?

I'll come and leave a message on your blog too. Thanks again, Debbie.

Alice (Imma Grateful)


Krista - Thank you so much for your wonderful support! You are totally right I CAN DO IT!! And I know I will feel great. I've already been enjoying the workouts I've had on my Free one week passes that each of the gyms gave me. I feel good physically, emotionally, mentally after I do them. I can only go up from here.

Thanks for visiting. Do you have a blog?

darkfoam said...

you know..
sometimes when i pay for stuff i actually use it. you are right. the more active we are the less depressed we are. and i mean active in a positive and healthful way. not the running around like crazy while multitasking at too many things at one time ...
this step you are taking seems to be a good one for you. get advice from your doctor or chiropractor about what gym workouts are beneficial for your back.

Anonymous said...

http://thewoodpile.spaces.live.com/

This is my blog. I came to read you through Becky's blog. Hope you enjoy.

Krista

clairesgarden said...

I had a gym membership for a while and its a good incentive as you are paying for it 'you must go and use it.' I found on pay as you go I never went!
good luck with it!!