Monday, September 07, 2009

Laugh 6

Installment #6 from Chapter 3 of "Life's Greatest Lessons" by Hal Urban. If you are just here for the first time and would like to start reading from the beginning, you will find it all at my label Good For A Laugh. This is part of my commitment to post every day of September about Laughing and it's gifts to us:

I have another friend, Russ Sands, who's in his early sixties and is an executive in a mojor insurance firm in San Fransisco. He's educated, drives a big BMW sedan, wears custom-tailored suits, travels around the world representing his company, is a devoted family man, and gives generously of both his time and money to charitable organizations. In other words, he's very sophisticated. He's also one of the funniest and craziest perople I've ever known. He finds humor in everything and is a master at making others laugh. He calls things that are funny "a howl", and virtually everything is. He wears red high-top canvas basketball shoes and other items of offbeat clothing. One of his favorite toys used to be a Volkswagon "Thing" - an army-style vehicle that looks like a cross between a Jeep and a Land Cruiser. Now his favorite toy is a Harley Davidson motorcycle.

He entertains himself and his friends by coming up with wacky expressions. I was at a meeting with him a few years ago when a woman said something which surprised him. He looked at her and said emphatically, "Get a neck!" Where that came from, I'll never know. And several years later, I still haven't figured out what he meant. But he cracked the meeting up, including the woman he was speaking to. Thinking about it still makes me laugh. His most recent expression is, "Time to sack 'em up." It doesn't make sense either, but it's funny because of the way he says it. Here's a man who works extremely hard and is under great pressure, but he knows how to have a good time. It doesn't really make any difference whether his anitcs make sense of not. In fact, they're funny because they usually don't make sense. That's what humor is: the unexpected out-of-character, the absurd.

To be continued....


Since I missed posting yesterday and am doing 2 days posts tonight, I am grateful I can change the dates on my posts, haha. So This will appear to have been posted on it's proper date. Also, when I post it after midnight, I can change it to show the before midnight date.

Being Monday I went to my Master Mind meeting which was awesome as always. I so love the 3 wonderful women that share this journey with me, helping each other grow spiritually. I am very grateful for them and for our powerful meetings.

No comments: