Wednesday, June 03, 2009

"A Thousand Words In Idioms"

[jentje+1000+Words.jpg]

Jientje has started a wonderful photo challenge: "As long as people have been around, they have tried to communicate with each other. As a means of getting the message across as clearly as possible, idioms and sayings have found their way into our language.

Now, because a picture paints a thousand words, I thought it would be nice to make this a new photo challenge. The idea is to pick an idiom, or a saying, ( even slang is allowed) and illustrate it with a picture. Each week we’ll cover two letters of the alphabet, okay?"

If “language is the dress of thoughts” ( Johnson), then idioms must the wardrobe …

I'm playing catch up this week, so will be doing I & J from last week plus this week's K & L.

Each meaning has a link to the page where I got it from, and where they post about the origins of the saying/idioms.

Warning: You may want to consider an appetite suppressant before you read further... if you want to look like you eat like a bird, lol. A large salad would work.

I'll be there with bells on:

Meaning: Eager; ready to participate.


Just Deserts:

Meaning: That which is deserved. A reward for what has been done - good or bad.


Kick the bucket:

Meaning: To die.


A little bird told me:

Meaning: I was told by a private or secret source.

Remember to leave a comment, then go visit Jientje to see other participants posts &/or to join in the fun.


7 comments:

Jientje said...

Aaaawwww!!! They're great!! Love them, I absolutely LOVE them!! The birds are so cute, and the desert book made me drool! I love how you grabbed your camera to do this, (not just browse your archives like I've been doing)very very clever pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Alice what great idioms. Fantastic and you lok great. Love the bells.And kick the bucket...nice sneakers. Excellent my friend :)

Nessa said...

These are really good. Nice way to catch up.

quilly said...

Alice -- these are all wonderful! I thought of kick the bucket, but don't own a bucket and didn't feel like buying one for the shot -- which is funny since I bought the cards!

And, it was great to see your face. You did indeed look happy and eager to participate!

RA said...

I really love your idiom shots as well! Great shots and ideas. Have a wonderful day :)

clairesgarden said...

enjoyed these today, love reading your story too, creativity and art!! you're doing it right!!

surplus said...

I really liked your article because of the information conveyed in it. I am sure some people would have learnt a couple of new idioms today because of your help.