Thursday, April 23, 2009

*** Three Word Thursday ***


Each week, Quilly gives us three words to write into a story. Oh, they're not just any words, not words you'd hear/see ever day. Nope, these are obscure words, endangered words. Before we can write to these words, we have to find them on the internet so as to find out their meaning so they can be used properly. This week's words are:


antediluvian: [an-tee-di-loo-vee-uhn]
–adjective
1. of or belonging to the period before the Flood. Gen. 7, 8.
2. very old, old-fashioned, or out of date; antiquated; primitive: antediluvian ideas.
–noun
3. a person who lived before the Flood.
4. a very old or old-fashioned person or thing.

prolix: [proh-liks, proh-liks]
–adjective
1. extended to great, unnecessary, or tedious length; long and wordy.
2. (of a person) given to speaking or writing at great or tedious length.

ineluctable:[in-i-luhk-tuh-buhl]
–adjective
incapable of being evaded; inescapable: an ineluctable destiny.


"What? You were kissing him? No wonder you can't keep a man. You rush into these things far too fast!!" scolded the mother of the 48 year old woman, stuck in her antediluvian thoughts, or suffering from some kind of old age related dementia, the daughter didn't know which, she only knew that in this day and age, kissing a man she'd dated several times was not a big deal... it's not as if she was sleeping with him on the first date, as it seemed her mother was accusing her of. She knew it was pointless to get into a prolix remonstration that she would not win. After all, it's not like it was an ineluctable topic. She wondered if she was listening to strains of her grandmother, coming through her mother. She decided to just let it go and in fact, after a moment of silence changed the subject.

"So where did you want to go for lunch, Mom? Or do you want to go shopping first?" she asked, though she already knew at that time of day her mother would want to eat.

"Let's go for lunch first," said the elderly lady. "Then I want to go shop for some clothes."

"What do you want to eat? Do you know which restaurant you want to go to?"

On the conversation went as the light turned green again and the younger woman accelerated the car, turning left through the intersection and continuing down the street.


Quivel

Dr. John came up with the idea (Quilly + drivel), and he says: Remember to write quivel you must write something that looks like a poem, any style , but is so bad that if it was printed in a book of poetry a true poetic zoilist would tear it out and burn it. What looks like bad haiku is really qiku where the middle line must always contain a Quilly word.


Paladins of Charlemagne
Antediluvian are we
Waste not our time
With words of prolix plea
For totally ineluctable
Are my mates & me.


Not
Antediluvian
I

Tendency to
prolix
I confess

Of life
ineluctable
old age or death


The Week Twelve words will be: paladin, intransigent, & invidious

When I went to Quilly's to get these words, I had to chuckle. I already used one of them in this week's post.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Alice you trickester you.. I came to read this and thought...what where is it...then I see this will be up soon...LOL

Dr.John said...

Well done.
I always enjoy reading your entries as they are so well written.

Cherie said...

The rules of quivel are so complicated that they are beyond me. To be good quivel it must be bad poetry. Well, I enjoyed your submission very much, so you know what that means ... bad quivel. Enjoyed your use of the words (including the preview for next week- LOL). :)

quilly said...

You know, maybe it is because it is named after me, but I kind of like Quivel.

Raven said...

My mother is long gone, but this reminded me of her... at least the first part.

I'm not sure your poem rates as a quivel because I don't think it's bad. I think it's quite good.

Minneapolis homes for sale said...

Your site is pretty cool. Cute luttle pets.

Anonymous said...

Well when I first came your 3WT wasn't up...just the definitions...but it was excellent as usual. I to agree with Cherie...the rules for a Quivel are so complicated to me...but it seems like all my poems would qualify. Your's was great..so is it a Quivel?

Jientje said...

I agree with raven your Quivel is pretty impressive poetry! I enjoyed the story too!