Friday, January 30, 2009

Wordzzle Challenge

I have noticed this challenge on a few blogs and have been wanting to play along. Finally, I am going to do so this week. After all, it's part of my promise to myself to start writing again, to break my 'writer's block'. So, today I emailed Quilly to ask "When does Raven post the words/phrases for us to use? Quilly wrote back that they were posted last week at the bottom of Raven's Wordzzle post to give everyone time to work with them. Yikes!! A week behind? Oh well, I do my best work under pressure, haha. The word/phrase prompts to write to for the main challenge as well as the mini challenge are posted there... and the other challenge prompts we get, when she posts her challenge this weekend. I think that's today my time, tomorrow her time. If you would like to check out more about this challenge and possibly join in, and of course see the posts of other bloggers, just click on the badge above.


My Main Wordzzle Challenge:

I was recently invited out to a very important social event. If I went, it meant a large donation to my Spiritual Centre, and of course this is always something that is required to pay the expenses of running such a non-profit organization. Do you own a home? If you do, or even if you rent, you know what it is like to pay hydro, phone and all other such expenses every month, and organizations like the Centre have many expenses a home does not have. Of course I could only say "Yes" as I told myself "Buck up!! By doing this, you can change the world. What the Centre teaches is life changing, therefor world changing, and all for the better." I was a bit nervous about going. After all, I had to get up and give a talk in front of some very important people!! I mean, there was a guest list of people I never would be likely to meet, never mind hang out with in normal circumstances!! A Professor of Anthropology, even a queen, just weeks after her coronation!! I decided to treat myself like a pampered kitty, and go buy a nice new dress for the occasion, as well as get my hair and make-up done professionally. Being a 'farm girl wannabe', I so rarely ever get gussied up like that, so really don't know a lot about how to do it right, so best leave it to those that do know. After the beauty treatment, I went home to change into my beautiful, white evening gown with crystal beads sparkling around the bodice, looking somewhat like snow and ice. I thank my lucky stars I was still in my slip when I started to hear my stomach growling at me and realized I'd not eaten since breakfast. I would just have a little snack, just something to tide me over until dinner, something to insure I ate like a lady, not like a starving farm hand when I sat down with all the 'uppity ups' that I would be dining with this evening. I checked in my fridge and found bowl of vegetarian chili I had been given in my weekly 'care package' from Mom. As I wolfed some of it down, I spilled a big glob on myself. It slid down my breast, plopped onto my tummy and slid down until it fell to the floor. Oh what a disaster that would have been if I had already been in my glistening white gown! I'd have had to go wrapped in one of the hideous curtains hanging in my living room. Once cleaned up and dressed, I deliberately, forcefully pushed my negative premonitions to the back of my mind, praying they would not come true and ruin my speech by me forgetting the thoughts I wanted to convey, and just standing there stammering. I gratefully affirmed that God would give me the right words at the right time, after all, I am Divinely guided, Divinely protected. With a new feeling of self worth and a knowing of success, I happily stepped from my home, into my truck, and off I went to joyously meet my future!

Yikes! It's about 6:30 here and I just went over and saw that Raven has the new challenge post done and up. Guess I'd better get writing.


My Mini Challenge:

Is there a doctor in the house? Those were the first words I yelled out as the stage lights came up. Across from stage left came small bits of paper, blowing in the breeze, the fake breeze of course, as I slipped from the shadows of stage right (stumble), and into the main spotlight. It is a challenge to pull off your job as a comedian when zzzzzzzzzz realing from the effects of a late night and a chronic sleeping disorder. zzzzzzzzzz And yet, I managed to bring the house down as I made fun of zzzzzzz living life without sleep.

I just clued in. The words for the Mega Challenge are all from the Main and Mini Challenges!! Good to know for next week. Some days I'm just a wee bit slow. Okay, I know I don't have to write to all the challenges, I think just the main... maybe even the mini, and the rest are optional (I think). However, I do enjoy the challenge, the creativity of this writing.


My Mega Challenge:

Is there a doctor in the house? I think I'm going to be sick!! I feel like woofing my cookies! I don't know if it's from eating that horrid vegetarian chili or because I looked too long (only a second, and yet too long) at those hideous curtains hanging in their dining room... and those walls! Do you own a home? Would you paint your dining room walls, or any walls for that matter, that Baby Poop Yellow? Yup, think I'm gonna be sick.

"How's your chili? Would you like some more?"

"Uhhh... errrrr..... no thanks. It's lovely, and I'm stuffed!" I said stammering, lying politely.

I'm not trying to be a comedian here, I'm serious. My new boyfriend and I were visiting his sister's home. I really, really like this man and feel that he could be 'the one', but these people are not my kind of people! He is a mega brain type guy, an up-up in the world of anthropology research. And she... she thinks she's in line for her coronation, and is snow and ice itself to the slaves, errr, maids and butler in their employ. These people bring back to mind the worst of my past premonitions of horror. To top it off, the eldest daughter whined all through dinner about how she suffers from some weird sleeping disorder.

As we left the dining room, the men headed for drinks in the library, while I and the other women went to the sitting room for tea. I made the excuse of having a headache starting, and needing some air. I thought these women would understand such a feeble excuse, and accept it as normal for a woman... sheeeesh! They did!! As I slipped out through the darkened entry hall, I tripped over their obnoxious pampered kitty, just barely catching myself from falling onto the tile floor. God forbid I bleed on their fancy Italian tiles. I stood outside enjoying the alone time as well as the fresh night air when thoughts started to float through my mind. "You can change the world. Kill them and hide their bodies, it would be a blessing to all living creatures." I then stopped those thoughts dead in their tracks. This was not like me. I know better. Everyone comes either from a place of love or a place of fear, no exceptions. It was obvious these people must be very very afraid and unhappy to be putting on such airs. It was time for me to get back to my usual place of love. It was time for me to share my love with these people, the family of this man I was growing to love and respect so much. I let my negative thoughts of the evening leave me, blowing in the breeze and off into the shadows from where they would never return. I straightened my hair, smoothed my dress, and returned to the sitting room to enjoy my little china cup of tea.

Wow, this week's Vanity Wordzzle is really going to be a challenge. I just read the words and think I need a good, hot mug of tea before I start to write this one. Maybe a snack too.


My Vanity Wordzzle:

There was total and complete silence as I stood on the beach, looking at the sea wrack laying there. It was a dark night, and more than a little eerie, especially knowing I was only a short distance from the Army munitions dump. Earlier in the day, I'd been sitting in my living room, listening to my Uncle speaking in his oft magisterial tone of voice. As my attention had wandered off to the feathered dream-catcher hanging on my wall, I had thought to myself how you would never know Uncle was a bird feeder at the local sanctuary and not some Army General. In his right hand, he'd held what he always called his God-jar , shaking it as he spoke of the Absolute, God, the One Life. I always looked forward to these spiritual talks we shared, enjoyed the passion he expressed as he spoke of the Creator. "AHHH!!", I screamed as I was suddenly snapped back from my memories, back into the present moment. "Oh, thank God!", I breathed as I noticed it's only a dolphin playing in the water just off shore, trying to intice me to go swimming too.


and so it is!
That, my dear friends, is my first go at Raven's Wordzzle Challenge. I hope you liked it, and that you will click on the button above to go visit Raven and other participants.

Have a wonderful weekend.


Next Week's 10 Word Challenge: author, Wall Street, rage, lemons, channel changer, cookies and milk, candelabra, Pine Cone Motel, illusory, fluffer-doodle.

And the mini challenge: war, wooden shoes, flabbergast, chimera, vodka martini


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Wordzzles, Alice. You did it -- and you did a pretty good job, too!

EXCEPT, what's with all the strike outs? Did you leave a bit of code open? Or do you really not want us to have a wonderful weekend?

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Thank you much, Quilly. I did have 'issues' with the code, and it took awhile, but I got it all straightened out now. I don't know why that happens, but lately when I post a strike out, the silly program either doesn't put it in at all (taking the / out of the closing, or it puts openings and closings here and there all through the entire post and my entire blog until I find each little bit and get it out of there. I think I'll stop doing strike outs, as fun as they can be some times.

Thanks for the visit. I'll come see what you wrote now.

Akelamalu said...

WOW you did a ten word, a mini, a mega and a vanity all on your first attempt! You go gal!

bettygram said...

Wecome. You did a very good job, and you did them all.

Dr.John said...

I loved all four of your stories. Best of all you really seemed too enjoy what you were doing. That's great because words are fun.

Melli said...

Welcome to Wordzzle Alice! Your first efforts are great! All very positive too!

There really are no "requirements" of how many wordzzles you choose to do each week. I'm generally lucky to get ONE done - and sometimes it's only the MINI! Of course, if you want to do them all that's great too!

Raven said...

Welcome to Wordzzles! Great job. These were all clever and creative. Can't pick a favorite... Hope to see you again next week.

I've always wondered how people do those strike outs....

Dianne said...

welcome to Wordzzle!!

what a first time entry - wow!!

I didn't do a Mega for weeks and weeks and even now, after almost a year, I rarely can come up with one

I loved the sense of moving forward and putting herself out there in the first one - I could really relate to her inner dialog

great work!! so glad you joined in

Finding Pam said...

I wanted to say job well done and welcome to Wordzzle. I think you will enjoy this a bunch.

Richard said...

Alice: Welcome to Wordzzle. Great stories.

Connie T. said...

These are all good. I like your mega challenge. That is great. I only did a mega challenge story.

jaycoles@gmail.com said...

Super job! Welcome aboard to this wonderful adventure.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Akelamalu - ya, once the writing bug took hold it didn't want to let go. I loved it.

bettygram - thank you :o)

Dr. John - I'm glad you liked the stories. Yes, I did totally enjoy the experience and am glad I joined in. I'll be back for more fun.

Melli - thanks for the compliments and the info. I really like keeping things on the positive side whenever possible... and usually it's possible. What we put out, we get back.

Raven - thanks so much. You can count on seeing me a lot, if not every week.

Dianne - Thank you, thank you. Great comment, much appreciated.

Finding Pam - Much appreciate your comment, thanks for the warm welcome. I am sure I will enjoy this group.

Richard - Thanks much. Glad you enjoyed them.

Thanks to all of you for your visit. See you next week.

holly said...

great stories. i particularly liked the mega one.