Sunday, February 15, 2009

Writing Prompt

Another writing prompt:

The truth is, I ....




"The truth is, I could no longer stand to live in this place. It had been such a happy home for so long, until... Until that horrible night. Was that two days ago already? It seems like a moment ago... and it seems like months ago."

Mary was jerked out of her memories by the insistent ringing of the door bell. "It must be the guys with the
moving services," she told herself as she headed for the door.

"Mrs. Jones? I'm Bubba, with the Writehaven Moving Company."

"Yes. Yes, come in. Everything is to go. I presume you brought help?"

"Yup, sure did, Mam. Roxy, Kate & Jeanie are here to pack for you. Billy Bob & I will do all the loading of heavy stuff into the truck, and the gals will help with loading the boxes as they're filled and ready to go," Bubba assured the woman.

"Yes, good. How long do you think it will take? I mean, to have it all packed up and on the road?" Mary queried, urgently.

"Well, it's hard to tell for sure until we get into the packing. You know, we can't tell what all you have until we're into all the cupboards, closets and cubby holes in your home, Mam."

"Well, yes, I understand, but do you have some kind of rough idea?" She needed to know. This had to be done quickly. She had to be gone before Sunday night, and this was already mid morning Saturday.

"Well, Mrs. Jones, I'd guess we could be done by Monday noon or so."

"NO!! No, I MUST be out of here, completely out of here, by noon tomorrow. By 3:00pm at the very latest!" Mary started to shake.

"Well, Mam, I guess I could call in my other crew. They took this weekend off, so I'd have to pay over time, ya know." Bubba said, thinking out loud.

"Good! Do it! I have the money. I'll pay extra to be out of here by 3:00pm tomorrow. I'll even give a bonus if you have me out of this house, everything but the garbage bags out of this house by noon tomorrow! That includes the Bentley in the garage. I'll be driving the BMW. NO! I'll drive the Bentley, and you get the BMW transported along with all the household belongings."

"Okay, Mam. I'll call 'em all and get 'em over here right this minute. Yup." Bubba said enthusiastically.

"Good! This is it, then. I'll be out of here and gone long before he gets home," Mary said to herself. " Ah, won't he be surprised when he walks in here Sunday night, back from his weekend away with his mistress, and finds his wife gone with all their worldly possessions, and the bank accounts. I bet he'll be about as surprised as I was when I saw them together, all huggy & kissy getting into that cab taking them to the airport." Then she went to her bedroom to pack a few things that she would need with her as she drove away from here and into her new life.



No comments: