Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween Games Night

Halloween Games Night at the Centre went very well tonight. Leading up to that, this morning/afternoon I made my Scare Crow costume. After that, I ran into town to meet Andree at the Centre. Carol also dropped in to talk to me about what games I thought would be a good fit, as she doesn't know anyone at the Centre, and was wondering how many children would be there to play the games she was planning. I told her we might have 5 people, or we could have 55 people. I advertised it in the local newspaper, on the local TV station web site, and it's my understanding that when you put it on the web site it also gets advertised on the TV, and I also advertised it through the Centre too. So we could have lots show up, or everyone could have other plans. After Carol left, promising to return at 6:30pm, Andree and I went to work and decorated the entire place (book store/tea room, kitchen area/hall way, sanctuary). From there I had to go to the grocery store to pick up some groceries for home as well as 'treats' to eat at the Games tonight. Another quick errand, then up to Andree's for spaghetti & squash dinner. When I got there it was almost 6:15 and I was to open the doors at the Centre at 6:30pm. I wolfed down dinner as I changed into my costume, and dashed out. When I got to the Centre (yes, late), Bev was already there and the doors were unlocked. We went in and I turned on the lights and started doing more 'set up' stuff... then people started to come.

Alan (FedEx Man), Andree (black cat), Lorraine (no costume, so we gave her a witch hat with purple hair and a black cape), Darlene (no costume), Eugene (no costume), Chris (no costume so we gave him clown hair and I did his face with my lipstick), Kathleen (60's girl), Andy (no costume), Carol (pumpkin) with one of her daughters (bunny ears) and her friend (billy goat) {teenage girls, the only kids that came}, Bev (gypsy, complete with crystal ball), Dale (prince), Hannah (Cinderella), Tjana (blue shiny hair and beads, wasn't sure what she was supposed to be), and myself (scare crow). We really had a lot of fun playing games. After some Backgammon and Tri Onimos, we played 'group games' for the rest of the evening.

One of the 'group games' we played was "Honey do you love me?" where everyone sat in a big cirle, one person was "it" and had to ask someone "Honey do you love me?" and that person answered "Honey I love you but I just can't laugh" and if they laughed or even smiled they would be 'it'. The person that was 'it' could do/say anything to make you laugh, the only thing they couldn't do was touch you.

The other 'group game' also had us all in a circle, then there was a person on a chair in the middle. That person was given a topic (ie. "makes/models of automobiles", or "constellations" and then you had to give name as many of them as you could)... the time to do this was calculated by passing a rubber chicken around the circle 2 times, and the person who gave the most answers won.

We also played with some little frogs that you had to jump into a container.

Most of us took goodies too, so there was lots of 'stuff' to eat.

It was a very good evening, and there will be more games nights in our future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! Now everyone who talks about it will raise interest and if you do another fairly soon you might get a larger crowd.