Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Another Tuesday

Today, among other things, I wrote a letter & faxed it, read emails as usual, other everyday stuff. Then Dan came over and while he was here I said that I need to raise my arm chair about 4" to make it easier for me to get out of. He went outside to my wood pile and made me one, just like that, haha. He didn't even have any of his saws with him, so had to do the work with one of my hand saws. He used 2x4s to make a frame, then attached a piece of plywood. Exactly what I had in mind. It really helps a lot!! I now have a lot less pain in back and knees when getting into and especially out of my chair. Now if only he could do that with the toilet, lol. It can be very painful to get onto and off of the toilet, something one would never think of until they have back problems.

I went this evening to Toastmasters in that town a little north of here. It was a very nice evening and I had a good time. I officially applied for membership in this club, so that will be voted on next week. Toastmasters International says every member must be voted in by the club. So, next week I'll see if I get in or not. I see no reason why not, but.... Both times I've visited this club, there has been snacks for during the break, and I love food!! The way I've been 'porking out' lately, maybe I should just join the bacon of the month club.

When I was getting ready to go out to Toastmasters, the phone rang, but I was just out of the shower and in a hurry, so I didn't bother to run and answer it. No message was left on the machine. Then the cell phone started to ring. Must be someone fairly close to me to call the home phone then the cell, so I ran for that one. It could be important, especially now with Mom not feeling well. It was Mike, my friend who lives 'down valley', the one I go to the Omak Stampede with every August. He drives truck and his boss just bought a new/newer truck down in Florida. These are not pickup trucks, but 'big' trucks. I don't know the exact details on this truck, but I do know that 'Boss' wants Mike to go to Florida and drive it home. Mike is going to ask him if he can take someone along to keep him company, cuz he's "too old to make that trip alone". Oh, he knows he 'can' take someone along, but he's going to see if that 'someone' will have expenses paid like he will, haha. If he can get his boss to pay MY way, and if I can get someone to stay at my home and look after my critters for a couple weeks, I'm off!! Mind you, it comes at not a great time, but I've never travelled much or far, so this would be an awesome oportunity.

1- Mom has not been well lately, she's 85 and needs help and company. My sister M lives in the same town as Mom, so has been spending more time with her lately, and cooking for her, but M & R are going "out of country" from Nov. 14 - 25, then will be gone to her daughters place in Calgary Dec. 3 - 11. Sister A is going "out of country" Nov. 18 - 28. Brother B was just out here to visit, but lives north of Edmonton, Alberta. Brother T lives "at the coast" so is also several hours away from here. M set up with some co-workers that Mom will call them if she needs anything and they will check on her sometimes. One was given my home and cell numbers in case I am needed. Also, I will go up to visit her on Tuesdays before I go to Toastmasters, if not more than that. So... this makes me pretty much the only one available to Mom for this next while.
2- At this time of the year it's harder to go away due to the colder weather. In warmer weather I can leave the animals for a few days and they are okay, but this time of the year I can't just leave Reba outside in case her water freezes and she has nothing to drink. Also, in warmer weather I don't need to worry about heat in the house, now I run a pellet stove that needs to be fed every day. The parrot and rat both need to be fed every day, the rat 2x a day in fact, so they need to 'go out' or have someone 'come in' to care for them.
3- November 28 is Pasta Productions!! I have been planning and co-ordinating this and will be preforming in it as well as being the MC for the evening. I am the Production Manager for Pasta Productions. What is Pasta Productions? A delicious Pasta Dinner, followed by an evening of Talent. From a 5 year old on piano to a professional singer/song writer, a former pro juggler will do a juggling show for us, a flute preformance, etc etc etc. It will be a great evening.
4- Judge Thomas Troward class. I will have to get someone to record the class or two I will miss, but no problem I'm sure. I'll leave my recorder and tapes and even Rev. Dale will record for me, I'm sure.

Soooo, I sure hope the trip to Florida will happen... and not until after November 28, and with someone I can trust to be here and 'critter sit' for me. Lots to think about. If 'Boss' says he won't pay my way I will either have to stay home or figure a way to pay for my part of it myself. That would be a trip to Oliver (gas in my truck), then I'd travel to the US with Mike and 'Boss' and fly down from Washington state to Florida (I'd have to pay that flight). I'd have to pay my own food most of the time, though if Mike has to have a hotel room and I share it with him my expense wouldn't be too big for that. He said something about coming back across southern US, then up the Pacific Coast, stop at Disney in California... hey, maybe in Florida too and compare the two, haha.

Well, enough dreaming for now. I must get busy. I have a lot to do yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been coast to coast in a big rig (more than once). It can be kind of tiring but is also a lot of fun and you get to see great and sometimes surprising things! I hope you get to go.